The list of herbs that are being investigated to treat diseases such as Alzheimer’s is getting longer all the time. It is nice to know that herbs are being recognized more and more for what they have always been, medicine.
Throughout the ages Sage has been used to improve memory. The Greeks and Romans used it for this purpose. Herbalists such as Culpepper (1652) also touted sage as “healing the memory and quickening the senses”. Modern medicine is beginning to discover that they were correct!
Studies by the Medicinal Plant Research Centre have shown that not only does sage prevent the breakdown of acetylcholine (a chemical that is known to be low in Alzheimer’s patients), but sage oil also improves word recall in healthy adults.
The root of Chinese sage has been discovered to be similar to existing pharmaceutical Alzheimer’s medicines without the side effects. Sage improves the interconnectivity of the various parts of the brain.
One antioxidant in sage has even been shown to cross the blood brain barrier. This means that it is free to interrupt free radical damage directly to the brain cells. It also helps increase blood flow to the brain which helps keep brain cells healthy.
So far only 2 studies exist to provide these findings. More studies need to be done but from the preliminary studies there is good news. Sage which has been used for over 1000 years to treat brain conditions has been shown to do exactly that.
- The anti-inflammatory properties in sage are superior for treating inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sage has a calming effect on mucous membranes and is wonderful for soothing sore throats and tonsillitis. It is excellent for treating diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
- Sage can be used at the onset of a cold to prevent it becoming full blown. It is a superb treatment for sinus congestion and post nasal drip.
- Digestive complaints such as indigestion and acid reflux are also calmed by an addition of sage to food.
- Sage works on the adrenal glands helping to reverse the effects of stress and calm anxiety. It is useful for depression and panic as well.
- Sage tones arteries and can be effective in Hypotension.
- Sage is anti-microbial and can be used topically to treat bacterial and fungal infections.
- Sage is an excellent remedy for both night sweats and menopausal hot flushes.
In historical times sage was thought to provide immortality. I am not sure about that particular claim but sage is an amazing herb for the treatment of body mind and spirit.